All students are assigned a faculty member in their major as their primary advisor. Students who are exploring are assigned a faculty member in the School in which they are interested. Students may also confer with the Student Academic Success and Engagement office for drop in assistance or when their advisor is not available.

Academic advising at Siena assists students in:

  • choosing the right major for them;
  • deciding what direction their course of study should take by evaluating their personal and academic interests, as well as possible career goals;
  • choosing courses that match their interests, while making sure the College's requirements are met;
  • answering general questions about the College's curriculum; and,
  • monitoring the academic progress of Siena students.

What is a CAPP Audit and why is it Important?

CAPP stands for "Curriculum, Advising, and Program Planning." This report provides both the student and advisor with a complete academic history of courses the student has taken and core, major, minor, certificate, and graduation requirements that have NOT been met.

Student Academic Record Change Form

It is always recommended that you discuss intended changes to your major, minor or certificate with your faculty advisor, your Assistant Dean or member of the Office of Student Academic Success and Engagement.

Withdrawal from a Class 

You can withdraw from a class on your own by using Banner Self Service until the day listed on the academic calendar as the "Last Day to Drop with a 'W' Grade."

If you are having trouble in a course before withdrawing, you should:

  • Talk to your professor to get a clear picture of where you stand and what can be done to move forward
  • Talk with your Faculty Advisor, Assistant Dean or a member of the Office of Student Academic Success and Engagement.
  • Adjust the rest of your life to allow more time for increased and efficient studying
  • Seek Tutoring Services and use the Writing Center

You are still able to withdraw from a class after the last day to drop with a "W," but after that date, you will receive a grade of "WP" (Withdrawing while Passing) or "WF" (Withdrawing while Failing). Neither of these has an effect on your GPA. The last day to withdraw from a class with a "WP" or "WF" is also listed on the academic calendar.

The Pass/Fail Option

The Pass/Fail option is designed to encourage students to take courses outside of their major fields. Students may select one course to P/F per semester. This option may NOT be applied to a course in the student's major, minor, auxiliary for the major, college core, or common business core unless the student has already satisfied - on the CAPP report - that area of the core/major/minor with another graded course. Therefore, students may only P/F a course that is an elective. A "D-" is a passing grade. You must declare the pass/fail option in the Office of the Registrar.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (a.k.a. FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) protects a student’s right to privacy concerning his/her academic records and information. Siena College will not disclose any information without the written consent from the student, with some exceptions as stated by FERPA. There are some types of information such as grades, financial aid, or class schedules that parents might like to receive but under FERPA, parents can not have access to these records unless the student gives written permission to the College. This means that even if you are paying the bills, you cannot access your student’s educational records.