Studying abroad is a life-changing experience, but there's always the big question hanging in the air - how much does it cost?! Read through our policies below to gain a better understanding of how you can afford your international experience.

How do my siena college tuition and fees work while abroad?

When studying abroad for a semester or academic year, the Siena College Office of Business Services handles nearly all payments to our approved programs. You are billed by Siena as usual, and all financial aid and scholarship awards are therefore applicable to these approved programs. 

This arrangement not only allows you to maintain financial aid and scholarship money, it also provides a key service in assuring prompt and accurate payment of international invoices. In addition, you'll maintain full-time status as a Siena student, retain student email accounts and access to the Web, participate in the housing lottery (if you are a resident student), have access to academic advisors and administrative staff, and be allowed to Web-register for courses while abroad.

Even if you do not receive financial aid, a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be filed.

What about my other program costs, such as housing and meals?

Program costs for our semester and year-long programs are generally the same as if you were still a resident student at Siena College. A standard housing rate, based on the current academic year's costs, will be charged through Siena for your accommodation abroad. If a meal plan is included in the study abroad program, then you will be billed for a standard meal plan, too.

If you plan to attend a program with charges in excess of Siena's costs, you will be responsible for paying the difference. This will be discussed with your Study Abroad Advisor as you select your program.

If you are a commuter student, you will designated and billed as a resident student for the semester you study abroad. 

All travel and incidental expenses are your responsibility, unless specifically provided for by the host institution. Further details on these expenses are outlined below.

What are Siena's "approved programs"?

Universities and study abroad programs which appear in our Semester Programs list constitute "approved programs," i.e. those institutions endorsed by Siena College. You are allowed to maintain financial aid and scholarship monies when attending these approved programs. 

If you, for a valid and demonstrated academic reason, express interest in a program which does not currently appear on the approved programs list, you will need to petition the Director of Study Abroad for authorization to attend. Pursuing international study without prior-authorization from the Director of Study Abroad can result in the loss of academic credit and financial aid. 

How does billing work for a semester/year abroad?

Most bills are paid through Siena College. Should you receive a bill, it should not be paid without first conferring with the Director of Business Services, who handles all issues related to study abroad billing. This will avoid duplication of payment, which is often difficult to refund. The exception to this is the initial application fee and any refundable damage deposits, for which you are responsible.

All billing due dates are based on the program due dates, which are often earlier that Siena's due date. Siena will not pay the program until payment is received by Siena in full.

All account balances must be paid in full in order to receive transcripts, and in order to register for classes the following semester.


In the event of a voluntary withdrawal by a student from a semester or year-long study abroad program, fees paid out by Siena to a foreign university or study abroad program are not refundable.

What about short-term or summer abroad programs?

Unfortunately, your Siena College financial aid and scholarship monies cannot be used to offset the cost of short-term or summer programs. Students are required to pay for all program and travel expenses out-of-pocket. We strongly encourage you to review our Funding page for information on external scholarship and program-sponsored aid, and meet with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss further funding opportunities.

what additional costs am i expected to pay?

All travel and incidental expenses are your responsibility. These include, but are not limited to: airfare, visa fees (where necessary), international insurance (provided through the Center for International Programs), and in-country personal expenses. Prior to departure, we will connect you with our study abroad returnees to gain a better understanding of estimated financial expenses in your host country.

are scholarships available for study abroad?

Absolutely! Visit our Funding page to review all scholarship and aid information for your study abroad program.