What are the requirements to study abroad?
- ALL majors are eligible to study abroad; it's just important to start planning early. Be sure to discuss your study abroad plans during your very first meeting with your Academic Advisor. Have a chat with your parents too, and encourage them to consult our Resources for Parents.
- You must be a second-semester sophomore, junior or first-semester senior for a semester/year abroad. Exceptions are granted for specific majors/programs or academic reasons. Transfer students must complete one semester at Siena before studying abroad. Students can study abroad on any short-term / summer abroad opportunity as early as their freshman year.
- You must schedule a meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor. You can book an appointment by emailing email@example.com or by calling us at 518-786-5047. We look forward to chatting with you!
- You must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 at the time of application. Please note that some programs (including most programs in English-speaking countries) require a GPA of 3.0. Do not worry if your GPA isn't quite high enough when you come in for your first meeting! Study abroad can be a great motivator for raising your grades, and we are more than happy to give you strategies for making your study abroad dream a reality.
- You must be in good disciplinary standing with Siena College based on a review of your disciplinary record and current probationary status, if applicable. We certainly recognize that each case is unique, so please don't let that little slip-up during freshman orientation keep you from visiting us!
- You must have a declared major...well, before your get on the plane anyway. Exploring students are encouraged to visit our office. Sometimes the study abroad advising process actually helps your choose a major!
- Athletes are eligible and encouraged to study abroad, but must first discuss their plans with their coach. We are happy to help you find a program that will further your academic and professional goals, while you also stay sharp and in shape for the next competitive season.