Deciding to house your course on Canvas involves far more than simply posting things and calling it a day. For example, putting a course online means you have to consider even more carefully both the substance and tone of your written documents.
You should consider structuring the layout of your course content in a logical manner so students will know where to find the content and where to go next. Think about the logical flow of a course for students. How do you want to layout your course think about the following layouts:
- Chapters: laying out course by book chapters
- Topics : laying out course by topic
- Units: Layout your course by units
- Dates: Layout your course by dates
You may want to replace face-to-face lectures with live or recorded audio or video lectures.
Live Lecture Tools
- Conferences is a web conferencing tool that is built into Canvas. This allows you to communicate with other users in your Canvas course.
- Google Meet Is a web conferencing tool that is included with the G-Suite for Education suite.
- Zoom is a web conferencing tool. Zoom’s free version may meet your needs.
Pre-Recorded Lecture Tools
- Screencastify is a Chrome browser extension that records your screen, face, voice, and more.
- WeVideo is a video recording and editing tool that allows you to record and edit video
- PowerPoint allows you to record video through a PowerPoint Slide
- Mobile Phones: You are able to use your phone’s camera to record audio or video
Live Lecture Tools with Recording Option
- Google Meet
You may choose to have discussions during your live class meetings using their microphones/chat tools or use Canvas Discussions.
- Live discussion tools
- Conferences - microphone or chat
- Google Meet - microphone or chat
- Zoom - microphone or chat
- Canvas Discussions is a discussion tool built into canvas. They can be used as an assessment.
You will be unable to accept in-person assignments, quizzes or exams. Canvas allows you to be able to create assignments, quizzes, and exams online and accept submissions for these. Using Canvas Quizzes you can create quizzes and exams that can be taken entirely online. You can also check for plagiarism using TurnItIn for items submitted as documents.
Online Office Hours:
You can use your choice of the live lecture tools to hold online office hours.