The Department of Public Safety at Siena College promotes and maintains a safe campus environment conducive to living, learning, working, and visiting. This is accomplished through the delivery of a variety of programs and services in keeping with Siena’s Franciscan and Catholic values.
The Department of Public Safety will foster positive community partnerships consistent with Siena’s Franciscan and Catholic values, which affirm the unique dignity of the individual and care for the community. The Department will leverage the latest technology to proactively reduce risk, provide the highest level of safety and service, maintain the trust of our community and be a recognized leader in Public Safety among peer institutions in Catholic higher education.
Objectives and Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Provide programs and services to maintain a safe campus environment and to equip students with the knowledge and skills needed to promote personal and community safety.
- SLO: Students will be able to identify the programs and services provided by Public Safety to maintain a safe campus environment.
- SLO: Students will demonstrate behaviors that promote personal and community safety
- Provide specialized courses to teach students life safety skills
- SLO: Students who complete courses offered by Public Safety will demonstrate proficiency in individual life safety skills
- Provide training programs to assist the Siena community develop the skills needed to appropriately respond to emergencies
- SLO: Students will demonstrate the individual skills required to appropriately respond in a campus emergency
- Provide fire safety training to prevent casualties in case of fire
- SLO: Students will demonstrate a capacity to appropriately respond to fire safety protocols during drills and actual emergencies.
The essence of Franciscan and Catholic tradition is a way of relating to people that is grounded in faith and values. Diversity, Optimism, Respect and Service provide a framework of values for the Siena College community to discuss and learn about the Franciscan tradition and its approach to fostering positive interpersonal relationships.
In our Franciscan community, diversity is an invitation to celebrate the God-given uniqueness of each individual, as well as the cultural differences that enrich us all. So,
Be open to the world
In our Franciscan community, optimism is a faith-filled affirmation of the basic goodness of life and of all men and women because, in the words of St. Francis, God our Creator is "good, all good, supremely good." So,
Be open to the future
In our Franciscan community, respect is a profound reverence for God's real presence in ourselves, in others, and in our world. So,
Be respectful of yourself
Be affirming of the dignity of others
Be caring of the environment around you
In our Franciscan community, service is paying the debt we owe to God for the gifts we have been given, by working and advocating for the well-being of all, especially the poor and marginalized. So,
Be generous with your time and talents