All prospective May graduates must file a degree application in the Registrar’s Office by Friday, February 2, 2018. Only students who have a degree application on file are eligible to participate in Senior Week and Commencement events.
You may verify receipt of your degree application at the Registrar’s Office, Siena Hall 102. The Associate Registrar will contact you if there are any issues with your status. Additionally, please notify the Registrar’s Office of any discrepancies you are aware of in your CAPP Report.
Prospective graduates who are registered for consortium courses during the Spring Semester are reminded that an official copy of the transcript from the host institution must be received by the Registrar’s Office before they will be certified as having met all degree requirements. To be considered a “May 2018” graduate, these transcripts must arrive in the Registrar’s Office by May 10, 2018. Students, who are completing their degree, either partially or completely, on the basis of transfer credits taken during the 2018 Spring Semester at another institution, must also arrange to have official transcripts received by the Registrar’s Office by May 10, 2018. Necessary arrangements should be made with the other institution; however, notify the Registrar at Siena immediately if there are any anticipated difficulties in meeting this deadline. It is your responsibility to check with the Registrar’s Office to see if your transcripts have been received.
Official transcripts for courses taken at other colleges during the Summer and Fall of 2017, the January 2018 intersession, or for other previous semesters (including high school) are due in the Registrar’s Office by March 2, 2018. These transcripts are essential to update records and give final clearance for graduation.
To be eligible to attend the Commencement Ceremony you must:
1. Complete a Degree Application in the Registrar’s Office by February 2, 2018 or have completed all degree requirements (and a Degree Application) in the previous summer or fall term.
2. Be registered for courses necessary to complete ALL degree requirements in the Spring term as of the last day to drop courses with a WP/WF (April 13), including approved Spring transfer credit courses, for which you are registered, that may not be completed until after the ceremony.
3. If you are a senior who will not complete all degree requirements prior to the ceremony, but you wish to participate in this year’s Commencement with your class, you may choose to do so by completing a Degree Application by Feb. 2, 2018, and indicating your desire to “participate” as a non-graduate. Please note: Your name will be listed in the Commencement Program with a notation that you are “participating with his/her class,” and you will be assessed the Graduation Fee for 2018. You also will need to complete another Degree Application when all of your degree requirements have been met to receive your diploma.
Commencement is a ceremony. Graduation signifies the official
completion of all degree requirements. They are NOT the same thing.
Attending commencement does not mean that you have graduated.
To be considered a May GRADUATE you must:
1. Complete a Degree Application in the Registrar’s Office by February 2, 2018.
2. *Successfully complete ALL course requirements for your degree program PRIOR to the Commencement Ceremony (including the receipt of final transcripts for courses approved for transfer credit in the spring).
*This is a NYS Education Department regulation.
If you are eligible to attend Commencement, but will NOT meet ALL graduation requirements PRIOR to the May ceremony (including Spring Study Tour classes), but wish to be considered for an AUGUST 31 graduation date, you must:
1. Complete a Degree Application by the end of the first week in June.
Note: Once all requirements are met with final grades and/or transcripts for transfer credit purposes processed, the Registrar’s Office will provide an official statement upon request indicating that all degree requirements have been met (for job or graduate school purposes) and that the diploma will be awarded as of August 31.
All eligible students are encouraged to participate in commencement activities.
Those who will be unable to do so should notify the Office of Academic Affairs
in writing or by e-mail to email@example.com by April 15.
All students eligible to participate in the May 2018 Commencement Ceremony (including August 2017 and January 2018 grads) will be billed a $145 Graduation and Diploma Fee, regardless of their participation in Commencement events.