The Counseling Center saw approximately 13% of Siena College students in the 2017-2018 academic year. Approximately 88% reported making some progress on their presenting concern(s) after three sessions, and 95% would recommend the services to others.
- The Counseling Center provides psychological counseling for Siena students free of charge.
- We also provide consultations for students to faculty, staff, and families regarding the mental health of Siena students.
- The information shared in a psychotherapy relationship is treated with the deepest respect. The Counseling Center is committed to keeping records and information that is shared confidential. Only in situations where safety is a concern and there is imminent risk of harm can information be shared, and in these situations only for the purpose of insuring safety.
- 88% of students who come to the Counseling Center report progress on their presenting concerns even in the early stages of therapy (2017 survey).
- Psychiatric services are available for students who are attending therapy at the Counseling Center. Due to the high demand of appointments, we are not able to prescribe ADHD/ADD medication.
- Siena's Public Safety will connect you with the on-call therapist in urgent situations after hours.
Making an Appointment
- All appointments are free and confidential.
- Students must schedule their own appointments. Third parties are not allowed to schedule for someone else.
- To schedule, call 518-783-2342 or walk-in and speak with the receptionist.
Appointments are typically scheduled biweekly for 50 minutes per session. If you require intensive treatment or require specialized services (e.g., learning disability assessment), the Counseling Center will work with you to find a community provider that meets your needs. The Counseling Center does not perform court-mandated assessments or Learning Disability Assessments.
The Counseling Center practices a short-term therapy model, and we encourage clients to identify important concerns that they are looking to address. Your active participation in the counseling process is necessary for progress; therefore attendance at all scheduled sessions is important. You are expected to give us 24 hours notice should you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment.
Psychological and Psychiatric Services Not Provided
- Learning Disability Assessments
- Court-Mandated Assessments
- ADD/ADHD Medications
- Bloodwork or Lab Testing (provided by Health Services)
- Housing Accommodations or Exemptions
- Medication without concurrent Counseling