Siena strives to embody the vision and values of St. Francis of Assisi, including his commitment to building a world that is more just, peaceable, and humane. We must recommit to strengthening the bonds of racial justice to fulfill that mission and ensure people of color in our community feel safe, accepted, appreciated and affirmed. This effort starts with education and conversation. It requires action.
As these messages have been shared with the community, many of you have reached out to share your stories, perspective and ideas. In July 2020, President Gibson said that pursuing justice will be a priority for his administration. Your input is valuable and important to informing the initiatives to come. For additional resources, click here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have an event you would like added to this list.
- Matt Grimes '12 facilitated a second ‘Staff Day of Practice’ – a continuation of January’s workshop ‘Reflecting on our Values and Identities to Lead Boldly for Racial Justice," on October 14, 2021. The Council of Administrators hosted this event.
- Damietta Cross Cultural Center:
- Cooking with Fr. Tito
- Día de la Raza Concert and Dialogue with Rick Reyes and The Pasofino Social Club to celebrate Latin and Hispanic culture on October 12
- Cafe Euphoria — October 21 event hosted by co-founders of a transgender owned and operated restaurant located in Troy, NY to speak on their experiences creating this new and inclusive business model.
- Fall Fusion
- The Spirit of ’68 endowment committee is hosting the 10th Annual Capital District Feminist Studies Consortium Conference on Friday, February 25th. More information can be found here.
- The Mission Office in partnership with First-Year Seminar, and Athletics is hosting Fr. Dan Horan, OFM, Ph.D., for his talk "A Siena Saints Guide to Racism and Privilege: Franciscan Values on Siena's Campus," on Wednesday, November 3 at 7 PM in the Maloney Great Room. This will be followed by small group, student-led discussion, concluding with "Where Do We Go From Here?" Closing remarks from President Gibson on "Strengthening the Bonds of Racial Justice." The event will also include Cocktails and Conversation with Fr. Dan for all interested faculty, administrators and staff. Registration is required for all events.