February 27, 2020
Dear Siena Community,
We are writing to update you about the evolving global situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). We also wish to express support for the members of our community who have personal connections to the people and areas most affected.
As a campus, we are continuing to follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and we are in close contact with the New York State Department of Health and the Albany County Health Departments.
COVID-19, like the flu, is an infectious respiratory illness. Flu activity is already widespread in most of the United States and is expected to increase over the next several weeks. Here’s a link to information about flu activity in New York State as well as everyday preventive measures to guard against the transmission of communicable diseases.
During flu season, it is recommended to practice good healthy hygiene habits such as:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
- Get a flu shot. It’s not too late! Flu shots are available at most local pharmacies and may be covered by your health insurance; please call in advance for availability.
Students and Staff with flu-like symptoms should stay home. All students should limit contact with others who are not sick. Those with flu-like symptoms should not return to class until they no longer have a fever for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
The health and well-being of our community is a group effort. We are healthier and stronger as a community when we support and respect each other. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns at 518-783-2554 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carrie Hogan, M.S., ANP-C
Director of Health Services | Siena College
MacClosky Townhouse Commons Building
Monday-Thursday, 9am-5:30pm, Friday 10am-4pm when classes are in session.