Travel Tips and Information


International students have many opportunities to travel while studying at Siena. Located less than 3 hours from Boston and New York City, travel options are plentiful. Here are some resources to help you explore the Capital District and beyond!


Before traveling, speak to your DSO.

Before you travel, it's always a good idea to speak with someone in the Center for International Programs first. If you plan to travel outside the United States, for example, you may need to have your I-20 signed, or there may be immigration/status issues that you are unaware of. Better safe than sorry!

Air Travel

Take a plane!

Albany International Airport
Albany International Airport

The Albany International Airport (ALB) is located just minutes from Siena College, servicing the continental U.S., as well as Canada and Mexico.

Carriers with service to/from Albany include:

There is regular taxi service between Albany International Airport and Siena College. Albany taxis generally do not have meters, so be sure you ask what the fare will be before getting into the taxi.


Bus Travel

Get on the bus!

Siena students can ride city buses for free!
Siena students can ride city buses for free!

Siena College students enjoy free travel on ALL Capital District Transit Authority buses. You must swipe your SaintCard (ID Card) when boarding. Buses depart Siena College regularly. For full schedule information, click here:

The CDTA Bus (#182) can even be taken all the way to the Greyhound Bus Terminal in downtown Albany!


Quick, convenient, and low-cost bus service is available to New York City via Megabus. For tickets and schedules, click here:

The Megabus terminal is located in the longterm parking lot of the Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak Train Station in Rensselaer, NY, about 10-15 minutes from Siena College. For your reference, the address is:

525 East St
Rensselaer, NY 12144


Regular service to New York, Boston, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Montreal and beyond is offered via Greyhound/Trailways. For tickets and schedule, click here:

The Albany Greyhound Terminal is located in downtown Albany at the following address:

34 Hamilton St
Albany, NY 12207

CDTA (#182) runs regular service to the bus station.

Train Travel

Take a train!

Albany-Rensselaer Train Station
Albany-Rensselaer Train Station

The Albany-Rensselaer Train Station is one of the busiest in the United States, with Amtrak offering daily service (10-12 trains per day) to New York City and points beyond. Click here for tickets and schedules:

525 East St
Rensselaer, NY 12144




Driving in New York State

Hit the road!

International students can use Zipcars!
International students can use Zipcars!

If you have an international license you can drive in the United States for a brief period of time. However, you will not be able to purchase, register or insure a vehicle. For some more long-term ideas on how to drive in the U.S., see below.


Need a car? Borrow a Zipcar! International students are fully eligible to use Zipcars!

Siena College has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. To use Zipcars, simply register as a member, reserve a car online or by phone, use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away. When you’re done, return the car to the same location where you picked it up.

As a member you get:

  • Access to Zipcars 24/7.
  • Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff and students age 18 and older.
  • Rates start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day.
  • Gas, insurance and maintenance are included for free!
  • Join for only $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.

Learn more and get started at!

Get a license!

Applying for a NYS license

To apply for a NYS license, you must have more than one year left on your I-20. If this requirement is met, follow these steps:

  • Take all of your paperwork – the I-20, F visa, passport and I-94 card – to the Department of Motor Vehicles located at 224 South Pearl Street in Albany. The phone number is 1-800-225-5368.
  • After filing the forms, you will be given a paper test of traffic signals and driving skills.
  • Once the paper test is passed, you may schedule a driving test. If passed, you will receive your license for a fee.

For more detailed information, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Register, Inspection, Insurance Costs

Once you receive a NYS license, you are eligible to purchase, register and insure your own vehicle. You cannot own and operate a car that is not registered and insured. Registering your vehicle costs about $40 per year; annual inspections, which can be performed at any auto repair shop, cost about $15-20; and insurance can cost about $1,000 per year for someone in your age group.


Things to do

Start exploring!

Get out and see what the Capital District has to offer!
Get out and see what the Capital District has to offer!

At the Center for International Programs, we love the blog, Check out the "Stuff to Do" section, which gives great suggestions for concerts to see, activities and restaurants to try, museum exhibits, plays, comedy shows, etc.

The Siena College website also has a great site called, Things to do Locally.




Vacation Schedule

Get lost!

Use this schedule to plan your travel over the next 12 months! Don't forget that during certain vacations/holidays, students are required to leave their dorms or must request special permission to stay on campus. Before making travel arrangements, make sure you check with Community Living and the Center for International Programs to confirm if/when you will be required to leave campus and when you will be permitted to return.

Christmas/New Year'sDecember 17, 2014 - January 11, 2015
Spring BreakFebruary 23-27, 2015
Easter BreakApril 2-6, 2015
Summer VacationMay 5, 2015 - September 6, 2015
Memorial DayMay 25, 2015
Independence DayJuly 4, 2015
Labor DaySeptember 7, 2015
Autumn HolidayOctober 16, 2015
ThanksgivingNovember 25-27, 2015
Christmas/New Year'sDecember 22, 2015 - January 18, 2016