Contact Us

  • Standish Library
    515 Loudon Road
    Siena College
    Loudonville, NY 12211
    (518) 783-2545

 

Standish Library Archives Timeline

Siena College Historical Highlights 

Garret Mansion 
Garrett Mansion, the original college building.

 

1937  

Seven Franciscan friars establish St. Bernardine of Siena College in Loudonville, New York, outside Albany, under the direction of President Rev. Cyprian Mensing, O.F.M.

1938  

 Siena Hall is dedicated.

1939  

Siena's first major baccalaureate degree programs are Biology, Chemistry, Classics (Latin), Economics, English, French, History, Mathematics, Physics, Sociology (Social Science), Spanish. The college also offers a certificate in Accounting.
 

1940  

 The cornerstone for the new gym, Gibbons Hall (now known as the Foy Hall), is laid.

Bowling in Gibbons
Bowling lanes in Gibbons Hall basement.

1941   

First commencement. Seventy-six degrees are awarded. 

1942  

Absolute charter for Siena granted by the New York State Board of Regents

1943  

Rev. Mark Kennedy, O.F.M., becomes the second president of the College.

1948-1952  

The Indians, Siena's nationally ranked basketball team (#11 in the U.S. in 1952), garnered 20 wins in three of four seasons, and won the National Catholic Invitational Tournament in 1952. (Team name was changed to Saints in 1989.)

1949   

Cornerstone is laid for St. Bernardine of Siena Friary. Finance major established.

1950  

Siena is authorized to grant Master's degrees in Arts, Science, Business Administration, and Education.

1952  

Rev. Bertrand J. Campbell, O.F.M., becomes the third president of the College.

1954
 
 

Cornerstone is laid for the Jerome Dawson Memorial Library. (Later to become the Gene and Mary Sarazen Student Union.)

Dawson Library Reading Room
Dawson Library Reading Room

 1955  

Rev. Edmund F. Christy, O.F.M., becomes the fourth president of the College.

 1958  

Publication of the first Greyfriar Lectures.

 1959  

Plassmann Hall and Serra Dining Hall become part of campus facilities.

 1960  

Campus radio station WVCR begins broadcasting.

 1962  

A new dormitory, Ryan Hall, is dedicated.  Accounting major is established.

 1964  

Rev. Brian Duffy, O.F.M., becomes the fifth president of the College.

 1966  

Marketing and Management major is established.

 1968  

Another dormitory, Hennepin Hall, is dedicated. St. Bernardine of Siena College officially changes its name to Siena College. Philosophy major is established.

 1969  

Siena welcomes the first of many women resident students. Political Science major is established.

 1970  

Rev. Matthew T. Conlin, O.F.M., becomes the sixth president of the College.

 1971  

 Old Chapel before fire

Old Chapel

Religious Studies major established.

 1972  

Psychology major established.

 1973   

Revisions in the academic program result in the "core" curriculum. American Studies major established.

 1974  

Alumni Recreation Center (ARC) opens and the 1974-75 basketball games are played there.

 1976  

Rev. Hugh F. Hines, O.F.M., becomes the seventh president of the College.

 1979  

Computer Science major established.

 1984  

Social Work major established.

 1985  

The Siena College/Albany Medical College Program in Science, Humanities and Medicine is established.

 1986  

New townhouses are opened, housing seven students in each unit.

 1987  

50th Jubilee celebration, October 16-19.

 1988  

 Rev. Roberto Gonzalez, O.F.M., Siena '72, is ordained Auxiliary Bishop of Boston.

 1989  

Measles epidemic breaks out in February and March. No classes are lost, but everyone under 30 is vaccinated. Men's basketball team goes to NCAA tournament and upsets Stanford. A new academic building, Kiernan Hall, is opened. Rev. William E. McConville, O.F.M., becomes the eighth president of the College.

1990-1992  

Three houses were acquired and renovated: the Kiernan house, named St. Francis House (The Yates Gallery there provides an excellent space for art exhibits). The Reynolds House (now Colbeth Hall), the McGuirk house (now the Clare Center). A second and third group of townhouses, Cushing Village, opened soon thereafter.

 1990  

 New Rev. Benjamin J. Kuhn Alumni House is dedicated.

 1992  

 Marcelle Athletic Complex opens on February 10.

 1994  

Siena men's basketball wins third place in NIT at Madison Square Garden. Women's team wins the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

 1995  

 Siena M.B.A. program in accounting is inaugurated.

 1996  

The Siena Family Business Institute is created to help small businesses in the area. Siena men's baseball team wins Metro Atlantic League championship.  Rev. Kevin E. Mackin, O.F.M., is installed as the ninth president as the college. Fr. Kevin announces a major leadership gift from J. Spencer and Patricia Standish towards a new campus library.

 1997  

 College observes its 60th anniversary on October 7. A major in Environmental Studies is established.

 1999  

Siena men's basketball team wins the MAAC, gains automatic bid to NCAA tournament. Men's baseball team also goes to NCAA tournament.   J. Spencer and Patricia Standish library dedicated October 2.  

 

Moving In Day August 1999

In July, a Ceremonial Moving In event was lead by Patricia Standish and Fr. Kevin Mackin, ofm.  Mrs. Standish, a former English teacher at Siena, and her husband, J. Spencer Standish, substantially contributed to the building of the library named in their honor.

MacClosky Square is dedicated on October 9.  Siena College established the Franciscan Center for Service and Advocacy with a  $500,000 grant from Holy Name Province of Franciscans.

 2000  

 Siena discontinued Master's program to focus on quality undergraduate experience.

 2001  

 

Morrell Padua Residence Hall

     Morrell Science Center

  Padua Residence Hall  

The Sarazen Student Center opened in April.  Majors are established in Biochemistry and Creative Arts.  The Morrell Science is dedicated October 5th. Padua Hall, a new residence facility, is dedicated October 6th.

The Siena women’s basketball team wins the MAAC and received an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. 

2002  

Siena Men’s Basketball team won the MAAC tournament and went to the NCAA tournament.  Roger Bacon Hall renovated.

2003  

First phase of major renovations of Siena Hall  was completed.

2004  

Siena Hall rededicated; Hickey Financial Technology Center dedicated.  Center for the Study of Government and Politics is inaugurated.

2005  

Education program accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education in March

2006  

Serra Dining Facility extensively renovated.

Siena School of Business accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.  

2007  

Fr. Kevin Mullen, O.F.M., '75, inaugurated as tenth President of Siena College on October 1.

2008  

Siena's men's basketball team won the MAAC tournament and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

An ice storm in December shut down the campus resulting in examinations being postponed until January. 

2009  

The men's basketball team repeated their feat of 2008, advancing to the second round of the NCAA tournament

The men's lacrosse team won the MAAC championship and advanced to the forst round of the NCAA tournament.

The School of Business began a one year Master's program in acccounting.

Graduation excercises were held off campus at The Times Union Center in Albany for the first time.

An Academic Convocation celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Francis Movement was observed on campus on October 1st.

2010  

 Men's basketball again made NCAA appearances

Siena women's soccer won its first MAAC Championship.

A new state of the art residence hall was erected in the northeast part of the campus.

Siena became the first Catholic college to be designated as a fair trade college.

2011  

 Siena men's lacrosse again made a NCAA appearance

Thompson Trail, a new walkway connecting the New Hall with the south campus was erected and dedicated.

2012  

Observance of the 75th Anniversary of the college began at alumni reunion in June.

Ground was broken for the new Richard and Rosette Hall, a social sciences building, in July.