NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
New York State residents who are full-time matriculated students may qualify for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). For eligible students, awards range from a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $5,000 per year. Awards are paid to on a semester basis. In order to be considered for the TAP program, students must complete their FAFSA application along with the NYS TAP application.
The TAP program is administered by the Higher Education Service Corporation (HESC) and the TAP application is completed online at https://www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/.
To be eligible for NYS TAP, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Be a legal resident of New York State
- Be enrolled as a full-time student taking 12 or more credits per semester
- Meet good academic standing requirements as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
- Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC or on any repayment of state awards.
- Meet income eligibility limitations as defined by HESC
- New York State residents applying for TAP must first file the FAFSA application. You will be able to link to your online TAP application at the end of your FAFSA session. If you are unable to link to the TAP application, visit www.tapweb.org.
- First time applicants must create a PIN (Personal Identification Number) for TAP at the beginning of the application. The TAP PIN will allow you to complete your application online, track your application status and make changes to your application at a later time if needed. You will use your TAP PIN to complete your TAP application in subsequent years.
- Complete the required application questions.