- Minor or certificate program coordinators are appointed by the supervising Dean or VPAA. Generally, only tenured faculty members are eligible for such appointments. Any exception must be approved by both the School Dean and the VPAA and appropriate notation and recognition be noted in the untenured faculty member’s evaluation.
- The term of office for a program coordinator begins on June 1st. The outgoing program coordinator completes the program “annual report”; the incoming program coordinator assumes all summer program coordinator duties.
- Duties listed below may be delegated to other program faculty.
- The program coordinator reports to the Dean or VPAA who will be sent and provide feedback on annual program reports.
- Assure written procedures regarding how business is conducted. These by-laws should specify the composition of faculty steering or advising committees, terms for the coordinator and advisory committee members, eligibility for voting on program matters and other guidelines for making decisions about the program.
- Prepares program course schedules, coordinating with relevant department heads.
- Conducts program meetings and establishes specific work groups and subcommittees as needed.
- Writes annual reports, planning and budgetary documents, and other reports requested by administration.
- Revises the college catalog information, admissions, and program brochures.
- Conducts necessary program correspondence.
- Oversees program activities such as honor societies, newsletters, lecture series, scholarship awards, career colloquia, student award activities, receptions, etc.
- Supervises student workers.
- Oversees procedures for assessment of student learning outcomes in programs and assure that annual assessment report is submitted and that student learning outcomes are included in all syllabi that are specific to the program.
- Assures regular communication among program members.
- Communicates program needs to the administration.
- Staffs admissions activities.
- Meets with the Dean, department heads, or other program coordinators, as required.
- Serves as point of contact for outside groups and organizations.
- Initiates Program Reviews when necessary. (Normally every 5 years, unless accreditation requires or administration requests a different timetable.)
- Considers / proposes program curriculum changes.
- Makes data-driven decisions concerning curriculum.
- Reviews / prepares and approves curriculum proposals to be submitted to the School’s Curriculum Committee and / or the BOI.
- Facilitates discussions on teaching.
- Using assessment data, revises the curriculum with colleagues as indicated by program Student Learning Outcomes (Assurance of Learning) assessment activities and coordinates related reporting requirements.
Faculty Related Activities
- In conjunction with department heads, arranges suitable staffing for all courses.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and supervises adjunct faculty members who teach courses not cross-listed with an academic major. This responsibility rests with the department head for adjuncts teaching cross-listed courses.
- In the event that an adjunct teaches a course not cross-listed with a major, the appropriate dean’s office will arrange for the observation and evaluation of that person.
- Nominates qualified faculty for internal and external awards.
- Responds and seeks to address faculty concerns.
Student Related Activities
- Encourages appropriate academic advisement of students enrolled in the minor or certificate.
- Resolves individual issues related to program requirements or course offerings.