Updated as of 2021.
In recent years, this area has received quite a bit of Hollywood attention with the amount of TV shows filmed in the Capital Region and throughout upstate NY.
But did ya know? Siena’s surroundings have long been attractive to movie producers—we’re talking way back to the 80s to today. And we love that. Because when it’s a little too chilly to hang outside or Saints just need to stop moving for a couple hours, students cluster together in the dorms and watch movie after movie like one big cozy family. (And sometimes, we get to be extras too.)
Here are 10 flicks that were actually filmed right here in the Capital Region.
- The Place Beyond the Pines (2013). If the thought of potentially running into Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Eva Mendes or Ray Liotta while you’re out and about doesn’t convince you to apply to Siena College, we don’t know what will. This story of a motorcycle stunt rider was filmed in Schenectady, not far from campus.
- The Emperor’s Club (2002). Filmed at the Emma Willard School in Troy, this prep-school drama starred Kevin Kline as an inspirational teacher with lifelong lessons to share, and it’s SO good.
- Scent of a Woman (1992). With Chris O’Donnell and Al Pacino in the lead, this movie also turned the real-life girls’ school Emma Willard into an all-boys’ school.
- Seabiscuit (2003). Parts of this horse-centric flick were shot at the Saratoga Racetrack in Saratoga Springs—a hugely popular summer draw that’s just about 30 minutes from campus.
- Salt (2010). Ever heard of the movie where Angelina Jolie took the role of a CIA agent-slash-maybe Russian spy? Look for the chase scene; that was filmed right here in Albany.
- The Other Guys (2013). While funny guys Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg didn’t actually grace our humble abode with their presence, Albany served as the backdrop for the high-speed chase.
- Ironweed (1987). Yup, way before you were born. But it still counts! The Miss Albany Diner (which is now Tanpop Ramen; YUM) and the Albany Rural Cemetery made appearances in this Meryl Streep-Jack Nicholson classic.
- Then Came You (2018). Starring Nina Dobrev and Maisie Williams, this Netflix rom-com is a must see. If you’ve been to the Albany International Airport, you may recognize some of the sites!
- The Age of Innocence (1993). Troy’s River Street played a role in this Martin Scorsese adaptation of a novel by Edith Wharton (that you may have read in English class).
- The Time Machine (2002). This story of a 19th century inventor took to the streets in Albany, Saratoga and Schenectady, among other filming locations.
Want to potentially be an extra in an award-winning movie? You should probably consider Siena College as your new home. Schedule a visit today!