WHY STUDY GERMAN?
For general language literacy:
- German is spoken by 100 million people worldwide
- German is the most commonly used language on the Internet after English
- German is one of the languages of the European Union.
- German is the second most commonly used language for scholarly publications worldwide.
For science research:
- 40% of scientists in the U.S. recommend the study of German.
More than 1,100 companies of German-speaking countries have subsidiaries in the U.S. – Germany is a strong business partner in the global economy:
- Germany is the most important trading partner for almost all European and many non-European partners.
- Germany is the United State's fifth largest trading partner after Canada, Japan, Mexico and China.
- More than 750 companies in the United States do business in Germany
- Germans have one of the highest per capita incomes of the world.
- Germany is the largest market in Europe and the third largest market worldwide for telecommunication products.
TV & Radio - Broadcast in about 30 languages (and 24 hour per day program in German, English and Spanish) promoting information and German culture/language worldwide through TV and radio programs
Culture - Cultural institutions promoting German language and culture in the US
The Goethe Institute - The Goethe Institute New York promoting German Language and Culture
Cultural institution - San Francisco promoting German culture, especially youth culture and music
American Association of Teachers of German - useful hints about learning programs, education and conferences for instructors, materials to promote German language and culture, etc