At Siena, we provide instruction in all levels of American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese and Russian.
Why Study American Sign Language (ASL):
- Many states have passed laws recognizing ASL as a complete and natural language.
- Hundreds of colleges and universities throughout America now accept ASL in fulfillment of language entrance and exit requirements.
- More and more television stations are using sign language in their programs and advertising.
- Most school systems are now mainstreaming their deaf and hard of hearing students-- dramatically increasing the need for sign language interpreters.
- More and more employers are looking for applicants who can sign. They know that having signers on their staff can contribute toward a good faith showing of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and similar legislation.
- A snowball effect is taking place as more and more people learn to use American Sign Language.
- While many languages are "dying off", American Sign Language is growing in usage every day.
Above list from American Sign Language University.