FYS Summer Reading 2017 Discussion Questions for Gris Grimly’s Frankenstein
When you are finished reading, please consider the following discussion questions. If your FYS teacher wants you to write out the answers, s/he will let you know.
1. What was it like for you to read this graphic novel? What was your initial reaction to it? Which part of the story stood out for you and why?
2. When reading a graphic novel, it’s important to slow down and really study the information conveyed through the images. Pick one image that had a strong effect on you and explain why.
3. One of our two main characters is Dr. Victor Frankenstein. How would you describe him? Where does his character start out? What changes does he go through? Where does he end up? What do you think of the journey he makes?
4. Our other main character is the “monster.” How would you describe him? Where does his character start out? What changes does he go through? Where does he end up? What do you think of the journey he makes?
5. Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein was published in 1818 and yet, we are still fascinated by this story today. Why do you think this is so?
6. What connections can you make between Gris Grimly’s Frankenstein and the theme of your FYS class?
7. Why are we asking you to read this book? Why now?