RA Selection: Overview of RA Position
Resident Assistants are upper class student leaders residing in each residential area who promote the College mission by serving as a resource for programming, referrals, and other student needs. RAs serve as the front line for working with residents and ensuring that students have a positive experience living in the residence halls. Some of the core responsibilities of an RA are outlined below.
Core Responsibilities of Resident Assistants:
• Develop meaningful relationships with residents in their community
• Demonstrate a willingness to engage their peers on multiple levels (personal, social, academic, etc)
• Assist students with resolving conflicts
• Promote and demonstrate respect for all students regardless of background, identity, or beliefs
Community Development & Leadership:
• Create a welcoming, open, and respectful community that encourages students to interact with each other as often as possible
• Implement programs that allow residents to come together in a fun and educational environment
• Promote college programs and events among residents
• Encourage residents to become involved in Hall Council and other clubs and organizations
• Document incidents where college policies are being violated
• Fulfill all duty coverage responsibilities
• Communicate with RD, Facilities, and other campus offices and departments on a regular basis regarding community issues
• Meet routinely with RD supervisor, attend weekly staff meetings, attend in-services, complete weekly reports, complete door decorations and bulletin boards by assigned deadlines.
Update (01-30-14): All new and returning RA candidates will be required to go through a background check. Information about this process, including required paperwork, will be shared in greater detail directly with candidates.