Director of the Damietta Cross-Cultural Center
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Students Affairs, the Director of the Damietta Cross-Cultural Center is responsible for facilitating the development and coordination of educational, social, and support programs that enhance the diverse culture at Siena College. The Director will work with various College offices to promote an active cross-cultural appreciation and respect grounded in, and supported by, the Franciscan and Catholic traditions. The Director will be expected to articulate a vision based in the inclusive, relational nature of these traditions.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Assist and support Siena in its mission as a college community with shared values and institutional culture reflective of the Franciscan tradition of respect and dignity of each person;
2. Develop and implement a strategic vision for diversity, intercultural and global programs for Student Life;
3. Implement programs and services, both formal and informal, that will increase student engagement and that promote an inclusive and interdependent socially just community;
4. Serve as an advocate and liaison for underrepresented students and international students within the College (partner with Residential Life, Chaplain’s Office, International Students, Academic Affairs and other student service areas);
5. Develop programs supportive of leadership development, cultural identity, cross-cultural understanding, and religious background of the student body;
6. Create opportunities for worship, service and reflection supportive of Catholic social tradition
7. Act as a resource to the Human Rights Committee of the College;
8. Oversee the day-to-day operation of the Damietta Cross-Cultural Center, including service to students, management of budget and participation on campus committees;
9. Prepare an annual budget and review all departmental expenditures;
10. Participate in the planning of events including: Orientation, Admissions programs, Family Weekend, International Studies programs;
11. Regularly inform the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs of matters pertaining to intercultural issues and diversity on campus;
12. Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs.
The successful candidate will have a master’s degree (required) in student affairs, education, cross-cultural studies, or related field; a minimum of three years or more experience (five-seven years preferred) of progressively responsible experience in administration of student affairs and cross-cultural programs; an understanding of, and support for, the values and perspectives of a Franciscan and Catholic liberal arts college; demonstrated ability to work with broad segments of a college community-faculty, staff, students ; the ability to be an effective team member who can foster strong relationships across organizational boundaries; and preferably knowledge and expertise with diversity and inclusion experiences within a Franciscan and Catholic work environment.
Letter of interest, including salary requirements, resume, and three professional references to Human Resources, Siena College, 515 Loudon Road, Loudonville, NY 12211, or email email@example.com no later than 2/15/13. Candidates are asked to highlight in their cover letter how they understand cross-cultural understanding framed in the Franciscan and Catholic traditions. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Siena College is a Franciscan and Catholic institution and expects members of its community to be knowledgeable about its mission and to make a positive contribution to that mission.
Siena College is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Siena College surveys all job applicants in accordance with the U.S. Department of Labor’s affirmative action requirements. Therefore, we request that in addition to your application, you complete the Equal Employment Opportunity Data Form located at www.siena.edu/eeo. In order to complete the form, you will need the posting number for this position which is R856. Any information you choose to provide on the Equal Employment Opportunity Data Form will be treated as personal and confidential and will be kept separate from your application for employment. Your cooperation is key to maintaining an effective equal opportunity program at Siena College and is greatly appreciated.