Welfare of the Community Policy
Safety Comes First: The health and safety of Siena College’s students and the Siena Community is of the highest priority. At times, students may need immediate medical or other professional assistance.
What if I violated the student conduct code and if I report sexual violence could I receive disciplinary action?
The College has a Welfare of the Community Policy. Although policy violations cannot be overlooked, the College will consider very favorably, the positive impact of reporting (and/or cooperating thoroughly in an investigation in) an incident when determining the appropriate response for policy violations.
· The positive impact upon the welfare of the community will be given great weight in determining the appropriate response to the student conduct code violations.
· Any possible negative consequences for the reporter of the problem will be evaluated against the possible negative consequences for the student who needed assistance, those who assisted in an investigation about the incident, and/or the larger community
· The policy may be applied, but not limited to: alcohol or drug related incidents, cases of sexual assault, or situations of vandalism and damage.
· When necessary, the vice president for student affairs, or designee, will render the final decision regarding whether the Welfare of the Community policy applies in a particular case.
· The policy only applies to the College’s Student Code of Conduct and has no status in other jurisdictions such as local or state courts.