Department Chair

  • James C. Harrison
    Professor of History
    Kiernan Hall 228

Declaring Major, Minor, Advising, Faculty Office Hours


Declaring a Major or Minor, History Advising, and Faculty Office Hours
A. Declaring a Major or Minor
            Declaration of a major or minor is done in the School of Liberal Arts office in Siena Hall room 321 where the form can be obtained. This form is also used for declaring a minor or switching to/from History or History Education as a major. Any changes will be reflected in the student CAPP report that shows progress toward graduation.
B. CAPP Report
            CAPP stands for "Curriculum, Advising, and Program Planning." This report provides both you and your advisor with a complete academic history of courses you have taken and core, major, minor, certificate, and graduation requirements that have NOT been met. Your CAPP report is the only authoritative listing of what you have taken and what part of the CORE each course satisfies. If your CAPP report does not reflect what you think it should, see your advisor immediately. CAPP audits can be accessed through Web for Students at any time.
C. Advising and Registration
Upon declaring a major, the student will be assigned a departmental advisor by the School of Liberal Arts. A student may request a specific advisor at the Arts office. The advisor must be a full-time member of the History Department faculty (not visiting or adjunct). Transfer students will have their transfer credits examined by Ms. Tytko in the Arts office. They will also be assigned an advisor. When professors go on leave, majors are assigned a temporary advisor by the School of Liberal Arts who will notify students of the change. A link to find out who your advisor is found at . Students can also consult the Arts Office for their advisor.
            Students must meet at least twice in the academic year, during the period of registration. Advisors will indicate to students when they are available for registration. This is usually in the form of email or a posted sign-up sheet at their office. Before meeting with the advisor, the student should consult the catalog for departmental requirements, print a copy of the CAPP (degree audit) report and use the report to draw up a proposed schedule based upon the schedule of courses. Bring the CAPP report and the proposed schedule to the meeting with your advisor. After advisement, the student will receive the Alternate Pin Number that permits the student to register.
            In order to register, students must have a personal identification number (pin). This number is given to the advisee at the time of registration by their advisor. No pins will be sent by email.
            History students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor more than only at registration. Advisors can help majors with course selection, advice on career planning, and are part of completing the HIST 110 requirement.
        D. Faculty Office Hours
             Faculty post their office hours on their door, provide them in their syllabus, and are available at the Academics website.