FAQs Career Center
- How do students register in CareerSaint?
- Students have CareerSaint accounts established- please check your Siena e-mail account for information. If you misplaced or accidentally deleted this e-mail, refer to the CareerSaint homepage for instructions on logging in to the site.
- Can alumni of Siena College access CareerSaint?
- Yes. Alumni of Siena can still access CareerSaint using the same login information as was established when you were a student.
- Alumni who graduated prior to May 2008 can have an account created for you. Please contact the Career Center at (518) 783-2339 for information. Please note that, while you are welcome to use this service, it is primarily for positions requiring 3 years of experience or less. If you are looking for more experienced positions, please utilize the job discussions section of the Siena College Alumni group on LinkedIn.
- I need to speak with a Career Counselor- do I just come in?
- Career counseling sessions are scheduled on an appointment basis- please call us at 518-783-2339 to make an appointment.
- If you have a quick question or need a resume or cover letter critique, you are welcome to come to drop-in hours- check our home page for drop-in hours. (Please note drop-in hours are only hosted during the fall and spring semesters.)
- What are drop-in hours?
- Drop-in hours are 15 minute sessions with a Career Counselor that are not pre-scheduled. Simply come to the Career Center during a time when drop-in hours are held and sign up for a time slot. Slots are on a first come, first served basis, so we recommend arriving early to avoid disappointment.
- Drop-in sessions are ideal for quick career-related topics such as a resume or cover letter critique, a question on recruiting, a question on CareerSaint, etc.
- Drop-in hours are only held when classes are in session.
- I need my resume critiqued- what do I need to do?
- You have the following options available to you:
- Come to a drop-in session (check the drop-in hours for the semester).
- Stop by during "Walk In Wednesdays"from 10 AM - 12 PM during the semester. A volunteer professional will be on hand to critique resumes, no appointment necessary. These professionals are from a wide variety of fields including graduate schools, not-for-profit organizations, and regional businesses. Check our calendar to see the name and organization from which the professional is from for any given week.
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor (call 518-783-2339 for an appointment).
- Schedule a virtual or phone appointment with a Career Counselor. Virtual appointments are held via an online chat that you can do from anywhere you have internet access. Please call us at 518-783-2339 for an appointment.
- What are your hours?
- The Career Center's hours vary by semester- please check the Career Center homepage for this semester's hours.
- What are the average starting salaries by major?
- The below chart is provided courtesy of NACE- the National Association of Colleges and Employers. Please note that these salaries are averages across schools NATIONWIDE, so they may not line up exactly with your geographic region.
8. Is there a correlation between major and how much money I can make?
The short answer to this question is yes- certain majors do yield higher incomes than others. In almost all cases though, any Bachelor's degree will increase your earning potential over the course of your lifetime as compared with a high-school only education, even after factoring in the costs of the 4-year degree.
A study by Georgetown University's Center for Education and the Workforce goes into detail by college major. Read the Georgetown study. However- if you are not sure of what your interests are, we strongly recommend meeting with a Career Counselor to talk about career options and majors that would work best for YOU.