4/20/2014 2:25:12 PM

Siena Poll: Jeter Favorite NY Athlete

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Jeter Top Choice – Favorite NY Athlete of All Time; Ruth Second
Yankees Top Team; 30% Say Bombers #1, 56% Root for Pinstripes;
Giants, Jets, Mets and Knicks Round out Top Five NY Teams
NY’ers Side with NFL Players against Owners, Want Instant Replay in Baseball, Divided on Making Mixed Martial Arts Legal
59% Call Themselves “Sports Fan”; 19% Fanatic, 28% Couldn’t Care Less
 
Loudonville, NY – Derek Jeter was named the single greatest New York athlete of all time and Babe Ruth finished a close second, according to a new Siena College Research Institute Sports Poll released today. Jeter was cited by 14 percent while 11 percent volunteered Ruth; no other athlete received more than 4 percent. Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and the one non-Yankee, Joe Namath rounded out the top five. Thirty percent of New Yorkers said the Yankees are their favorite team and an additional 26 percent said they are fans of the Bronx Bombers ranking them either second or third. The Mets, Knicks, Jets and Giants all were named first by about 10 percent and first, second or third favorite by 36 percent for the Giants, 33 percent for the Jets, 30 percent for the Mets and 29 percent for the Knicks. Full release.

Contact: SRI
Contact E-mail: sienaresearch@siena.edu

Back to Siena News.