St. Bernardine of Siena (1380-1444) is the patron of the college. The original name of the college was St. Bernardine of Siena College and the friary is St. Bernardine of Siena Friary. St. Bernardine of Siena was a Franciscan Friar who lived at the end of the 14th and beginning of the 15th centuries. He was a famous preacher who also risked his life to assist victims of the plague. He popularized devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus-thus the emblem of the Holy Name on the seal of the college. Coincidentally, St. Bernardine's feast day is May 20 which often happens to be the day of Siena's commencement exercises.
About the Award: On February 11, 1999, Siena College’s Board of Trustees authorized the striking of a new medal, the Bernardine of Siena medal. The Bernardine of Siena Medal is awarded by Siena’s Board of Trustees to individuals whose/who:
Personal or professional accomplishments or careers reflect a commitment to the spirit and tradition of St. Francis.
Have distinguished themselves by their involvement with or support for Siena College.
Have served Siena College over an extended period and whose work has made a significant contribution to sustaining the traditions or raising the profile of Siena College.
Past Recipients: Photos of Bernardine Medal recipients are on display in the Bernardine Room, a meeting space in the Standish Library.